Having visited West India Dock to go to the docklands museum (see previous blog), we decided to return to explore the Isle of Dogs and cross the Thames to Greenwich. Starting at Canary Wharf DLR we tried to follow the docks and waterways, but soon after passing Billingsgate Fish Market, we found our way blocked and the only way onwards was through a forest of soulless, looming towers. Their bright glass walls reflecting more towers, clouds and, it being a weekend, light traffic and not many people, hurrying through. We’d planned to walk through the pedestrian tunnel under the Thames from Cubitt Town to Greenwich Pier, but having jumped on a bus to speed our passage, we found ourselves there before we knew it! We did take the tiled, gently spiralling stairs to the start of the tunnel to see what we’d missed and the fine, huge, wood panelled lift back up http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/tunnel Once back on ground level, instead of following the crowds in to the much loved, but frequently visited bustling centre, we turned left along the river towards the Millennium Dome on Greenwich Peninsula in the distance. Passing the magnificent buildings of the Royal Naval College on our right then cutting through behind the Trafalgar pub and rowing club, we came across the Greenwich power station, built in the early1900s, now apparently a back-up generator for the tube, at the start of Old Woolwich Road. Walking along the road was like stepping back 200 years with the housing reflecting the range of architectural styles of the time and glimpses into small businesses, now repurposed to residential use. On some of the buildings were plaques with a lion rampant and MC 1695 underneath (see photograph below) which confused us. Whilst the houses were old, they were not 17th century. When we reached the end of Old Woolwich Road, we doubled back on to Trafalgar Road to make our way home and, looking up, saw a large plaque on the building opposite. This explained that MC 1695 had indicated ownership by Morden College in the mid 19th century and that the college was an independent charity founded by Sir John Morden, a merchant who was a member of the Turkey (Levant) Company and of the East India Company.